
It is a well-known fact that sense of direction is not one of my many talents. I truly get lost in shopping malls - no, not just in the parking lots, in the mall itself. My very first post on this blog mentioned my gps (Jack - he's British and sounds like he knows where he's going) and how my friends and family lobbied me to please get a gps as they were tired of getting calls from me asking them to "google me here".
I remind my dear readers and friends of this fact to brag - more than a little. I did a ride this weekend with an un-named companion that had never been on this ride. I planned on checking the route in the morning online (map my ride and map it pronto are awesome as long as you can deal with the advertisements). Of course, my internet was down in the morning ... thank you yet again, Comcast.
We set out on the ride with my caveat that it could get a little interesting as it's been at least a year since I navigated these roads. Thankfully it was a gorgeous day so we figured that worse comes to worst, we could always do an out and back.
My bragging starts here: I remembered the route - all 65 miles of it. I'll admit to one minor detour that we corrected in less than a half-mile ... but otherwise, the route was golden. The ride itself is pretty challenging and believe me, I knew I did a hard ride. But the whole way home I was smiling through the suffering - because I was so damn proud of myself for actually finding my way.
Ah, it's the little things, isn't it ?
3 comments:
Well done- I always have a Garmin on the bike just in case.......!
The cycling way - you can't find the local coffee shop if you're driving but you remember every turn (and every pothole and rest stop) of every ride in your team's bag of tricks, even the rides you've only done once.
Post a Comment