Friday, November 12, 2010

TGIF - 11/12/2010

I honestly have no idea how we're in the middle of November already. Didn't it seem like we were all wearing shorts and complaining about the oppressive Mid-Atlantic humidity just a couple weeks ago ? Now we're less than two weeks from Thanksgiving.

Promptly on Nov 1, I saw my first Christmas TV ad of the year. I know it's all downhill from there. I have a coworker that is pretty much finished with her holiday shopping. I can't even comprehend that concept right now. First, I am not a fan of buying gifts for people simply because there's a certain date on the calendar. I am a fan of random gifts - you know, just because you thought of someone, just because you saw something they'd like. Second, the thought of fighting traffic and crowds at the mall makes me throw up a little. People forget that whole "spirit of the season" thing and will run your ass over with a cart or their stroller or whatever else they're wielding to get through the task at hand. I liken it to riding my bike on Sunday mornings ... people are so intent on getting to church on-time that they're willing to run over any obstacle (like, say, someone riding a bike) in their way. All's fair in Christmas shopping and getting to church on time.

On a more positive note, I recently discovered Netflix. If you haven't discovered Netflix yet, go forth and do so. It will change your life. I am almost (almost) looking forward to those indoor training sessions this winter. Between the e-motion rollers (that I heart) and the option to stream any kind of distraction I please, I may survive another winter. Due to my work schedule and dwindling daylight, I've already caught up on Grey's Anatomy and finished the final season of The Tudors. I'm telling you, it will change your life.

As for questions I've had about the bike: Yes, I plan to race next year. Yes, I'm back on the bike, though I'm still running a couple times a week until I finish the Rehoboth half in mid-December. Yes, I am masochistic and hope to have the guidance of the Slavedriver for my winter of 2010 super-secret-training plan. Oh, fine, it probably won't be super-secret. It just sounds better that way.

Friday couldn't come soon enough this week - this weekend I'll put my Vespa in storage for the winter. Sad day, though necessary. I'm thankful that I was afforded the option to store it in the Meidhof garage last year - the poor thing would have been buried in all that snow.

Yeah, I said it. The "S" word. In November, no less. Take that.

No comments: