![]() |
| life is better on two wheels |
Why do we do this to ourselves, placing work ahead of living life? Some of it is sheer obstinance. I don't like to fail. (As an aside this has been an issue in relationships that clearly weren't healthy. I digress).
Much of it was trying to maintain and protect my accounting/contracts team. We have been working together for years like a well oiled machine, taking on anything we needed to do by successfully conquering constant obstacles. We laughed together and cried together but we always looked out for each other. It was my job to fight for our team.
Leadership in the company failed us and as of last Thursday our company was acquired. The new owners said nothing would change Day 1 and they didn't *technically* lie. The changes began on Day 3. They have a thousand managers of managers in the accounting department. Lack of communication and instability abound. Our merry band wasn't going to survive as a team. They're going to shut down our office in Shirlington. My right hand guy found a new opportunity. Three of the others are being relocated to Chantilly (!).
I chose to make a clean break after 6 years on this road show. I finally realize I need to put on the oxygen mask first before helping others put on theirs.Change is hard. The upside is this chapter is done. I'm blessed to have built long-lasting relationships with some amazing people. Now I have the opportunity to change my world view, to find and rediscover life outside of work.
Thankfully I will have a few weeks to reset. I want to ride my bike - Jim Gross, I'm looking at you in AZ! I want to go diving (not on my bike). I want to catch up with friends, catch up on sleep and generally catch up with life outside of work.
I hear there really is life outside of work. I plan on coming for it like a spider monkey.


No comments:
Post a Comment