Friday, May 22, 2009

TGIF - 5/22/09

The beginning of Memorial-Day Weekend. Actually, i think it started yesterday based on the traffic on the way home and the resounding echo of emptiness at work today. I missed the memo, but no worries, I'll bail out of here shortly to enjoy the sunshine.

I'm currently in the market for a new TV. I've mentioned before that my current TV is circa 1980. I have to use some contraption to be able to hook it into my receiver and cable box. And I can't hook anything else to it (computer/ipod etc). So, I've been down this road a few times before but something (life) always gets in the way right before I'm ready to make the move.

The amount of information out there on TVs is mind-boggling. I dont watch that much TV except when doing indoor workouts, so I am a complete idiot when it comes to picking out a new one. Contrast ratio (dynamic or other?), pixels, refresh rate, HDMI inputs ... a girl could get lost in all this if she wasn't careful. The other issue is that the reviews I find online are mostly one-sided. Figure if people are happy, they're happy. If they're not, they find any way they can to disparage the company/manufacturer. Plus, I dont trust the general public (reference my post about people sucking in general). Speaking of which, HvT had a hilarious post on a subject related to people sucking ...

Anyway, this weekend might be the weekend it finally happens. Will depend on if I can get some help to get it home (I'm tough but I'm injured, dammit) or if I have to deal with delivery. Retail therapy is best served warm, not by waiting for delivery. And lets all face it, I'm doing retail therapy.

Other thoughts for today: Got an update from Jen R, who was injured badly at BikeCrash - I mean CrashJam - I mean BikeJam. She seems to be in good spirits and had surgery yesterday. Here's hoping for a fast recovery. She's a rockstar on and off the bike and I'm sure she'll be out handing me my arse before I know it.

Its unfortunate when we don't race on Saturday but do race on Sunday. That means I can't kill myself on a training ride on Saturday, nor can I do something else fun (hiking etc) because I know I have to be ready to roll on Sunday. The saving grace is that I'm off on Monday ... hopefully the weather holds out and I can find a good ride to do for the holiday.

Enjoy the long weekend and no matter your religious/political affiliation, please remember what the holiday is for - to thank and remember those who gave (and continue to give) of themselves for our safety and freedom.

TGIF

1 comment:

Fatguy Racer said...

I bought a 50" Vizio plasma about 3 years ago. I have not had 1 days trouble with it. Sam's Club has them and you can get the 50" for about 1/2 what I paid in 2006 and it'll have that fancy 1080p vs my old skool 1080i resolution.

Have I ever lied to you before?

If you buy an HDTV, you will have to upgrade your cable box. And you will need to buy an HDMI cable ($80-100). My Vizio didnt come with one. Or the 15 degree foward tilt wall mount ($250). But most flat screens come with stands if you dont want to hang it on the wall.

Hopefully Versus will have the Tour in HD this year.

Good luck.