Thursday, May 28, 2009

Somerville ....And I'm Out...

Anyone who thinks bike racing is a glamorous sport, please check out the pic on our Team CycleLife blog that says it all... for future reference, anytime you find yourself captioned along with a "puke bucket", things haven't exactly worked out in your favor.

After a pretty good run at RFK, I decided to abandon TV shopping for Somerville. I was finally finding my legs and wanted to keep them moving toward Philly and Nationals. LJ's race report pretty well covers it. I was in good/great position most of the race, was moving comfortably around in the pack and was gearing up for the finish.

I saw something happening ahead of me, slightly to the left. I was behind LJ and hot-rod Lisa Jellett (Verducci), assuming they knew where to be. The domino-effect started, so we all slowed down. I was far right and thought we made it through ... but the girls behind didn't slow down. I remember being hit from behind and thinking, as I'm flying off my bike, oh sh*t, that curb is going to hurt. I hit the curb with my backside, and I have an amazing bruise/road rash to show for it ... you"ll have to take my word for it. I don't know how many girls ran over me. Nonnie (Human Zoom) was the first friendly voice I heard - the EMTs were great but its scary as crap having 4-6 guys looming over you, asking questions you can't answer b/c you're still in shock. Thank you, Nonnie - I can't tell you how much that meant.

Knew my wrist was bad -they wouldnt let me see it. An hour and a half laying on a stretcher in the hallway with no meds, no food, no fluids ... pain started setting in and it was a pain I have never known. Maybe childbirth is worse, but I don't know. LJ harassed the nurses, at one point snapping back "thanks for nothing!" as they refused to help. I like to think that was me channeling through LJ.

Finally get a room and start fluids. Its almost 6pm by now... race started around 230pm. Still no drugs but the PA starts to manipulate my wrist. She said it was broken AND dislocated - sweet. Hurt like hell when she touched it but drugs followed quickly so my sobbing quited. Morphine also ran out quickly - we were up to 18 units by the time the x-rays were taken. Then await the ortho, who arrived an hour later. Since Morphine was not working, they gave me something else that worked but also caused nausea. Hence the puke bucket.

Worst moment? When the ortho had the huge man-nurse hold my bicep while he pulled on my hand to re-locate the dislocation. It is not a joke that poor Mel heard my yell in the waiting room.

So, my season is over. Nationals, Philly, CSC ... all that work out the window. Not happy. I know some others have it worse and I'm just whining, but dammit, in the words of Bart Simpson, this whole year "both sucks and blows".

8 comments:

Chuck Hutcheson said...

Wow, that's pretty lame. On a brighter note, I did the samething Oct 07, and a week afetr I found out I did not need surgury, I filed my cast to fit my handlebars (it went completly over my thumb and halfway up my arm) and rode. I just got my cast changed weekly cause it would stink from sweat. It took half the time to heal, probably because the constant slight pressure - maybe not, I don't know, but it took half the time. I don't think the doctors would approve of ridding, but I did and it was fine, so, there is hope.

vonteity said...

Aww, such a bummer Wendy. I'm so sorry your season ended like that. I know how it feels. I remember sobbing back in 2006 after my crash at BikeJam when the surgeon came in to tell me that I wouldn't race for three months. Definitely not what any racer wants to hear. :( But on the bright side, you'll be healed up just in time for 'cross! :) And crashing on the soft ground doesn't normally cause such terrible injuries. Heal fast, and make sure they fit your cast to your hoods!

Lance Lacy said...

DAMN homie....dont do what i did and eat Ibuprofen like they are tic-tacs just so you can grip the bars or you will put a hole in your gut...hope you heal well and i hope it wasn't your wiping hand ha.

TerribleTerry said...

ooof, sound horrible. We need more hot cycling chicks on the sidelines at races....but that's not how we want to get them. Hopefully you be back in the races soon enough. Maybe Dr. Hutchison can bring his file this weekend to CSC.

bethbikes said...

Damn girl. Between you and Jen R, the Mabra is going to be hurting! You and Jen should start a support group for broken cyclists.

Anonymous said...

Yigg..I have faith in you..you're the same gal who was on the trainer the same day as your collarbone surgery. Wine, netflix, new TV... you will recover faster than you think, as always! The puke bucket kinda matched the background color of your blog! :o)
Jill

jared said...

Hope you heal quickly. Maybe this could make for a nice cyclocross season peak.

And does this mean fewer blog posts? Work is boring.

PlainJane said...

caveat- left handed typing so pls excuse the brevity.

Jilly, nice to hear from you! As you'd expect, I have TT bike set up in trainer, been on the trainer since saturday.

Beth- Jen and I are planning to exchange 1-handed stories. I'm jealous she has Bill to help- have you any idea how hard it is to put a bike in the trainer one-handed (left handed at that!)

Jared- I seem to fall even when I'm not supposed to, so if I try cross, stick around for the sh*t show 'cause believe me, it'll be one.

Terrible- thanks for good thoughts...you made me blush a little.

Lance, did you just call me homie??

Vontie- i remember that crash, you did it wayyy bigger than I did ! see my comment to jared re: cross. lets get together soon, been too long.

chuck- i've already planned out the illicit filing - if it worked for you, maybe it'll make me fast, too!