Let me start off with this little gem: no matter how good an idea it seems at the time, flying home Monday morning and hitting the ground running by arriving at work by noon is NOT a good idea. Please learn from my naive mistakes.
Weekend in FL was awesome - Michelle got a crash course in my family history (we did give her a little bit of alcohol to dull the shock), we visited with my grandfather and my uncle/aunt, watched the sun set on Clearwater Beach with an old friend after dinner, spent a day on the beach and spent an evening in Ybor City. All that in 3 1/2 days ! No wonder Monday was a drag.
Now, to the point of this post. Stick with what you know, or stick with what you're good at. Since we were sooo good and didn't bring bikes, we had to do SOMETHING in order to justify eating. Like any good cyclist, I'm sure that indicates some sort of eating disorder but we'll just gloss over that. Michelle has been running for weeks now and me? I haven't been running since I was in FL last December.
I remember distinctly feeling great about doing something different. I felt like I was really going good and I decided to keep going. The thing about that is that once you realize you're not doing so well, you're miles away from home. I got home but the next two days were not pretty. Nothing more sexy and appealing than a female hobbling around, unable to go up or down stairs and generally looking like a drunk trying to sit down or stand up. You'd think I would have remembered that hard lesson but no, I need continuous refresher lessons.
So on Saturday, I was bound and determined to keep up with Michelle. I'm certain she slowed down for me to prevent from having to carry me back, but I still felt like we went at a pretty good clip. We ran for 30 mins before I asked for a reprieve and we walked for about 5 mins. I got up my courage again and we ran for another 15 min before I finally called it. Things were starting to hurt - shins, the arch of my foot, my right knee. She patiently walked as I hobbled home. By the time we got cleaned up for our dinner out in Clearwater, I remembered my prior lesson, a little too late. We drove the 45min to the restaurant and I could barely get out of the car. The next morning, Michelle suggested the gym and I believe I whimpered out loud.
Thankfully we were in the water most of the day Sunday, so that took some of the stress away. We refined our nerf football throwing (not) and basically swam around and gossiped. Hey, we're girls, we're allowed. Walking up and down stairs in Ybor City was not pretty, but Michelle was kind enough not to mention that I looked like a penguin as I walked. She's a good friend.
First day on the bike yesterday and it was pretty ugly. Thankfully I missed the Davidsonville ride (didnt get out of work on time) because I would have been OTB in no time flat. Hopefully Greenbelt tonight will be a bit better.
Lessons learned: trail-running shoes are not appropriate for street/sidewalk running -stop being a cheapskate and buy a real set of running shoes. keeping up with a former track star and marathon runner when you haven't run in 6 months is not exactly smart. putting sunscreen on once in the morning doesn't do the job when you're in the water and on the beach for 5 hours (Miche, you should know better!). Bottom Line: stick with what you're good at - I ride a bike. I don't run. If I do run, its not pretty and I shouldn't pretend that it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment