
As someone who enjoys the great outdoors (cycling, running, hiking ... you get the picture), I try my hardest to be at least environmentally conscious, if not environmentally conservative. Yes, for those of you that know me, I realize that driving a small SUV does not qualify under environmentally-anything. This is why I struggle with the concept. My BMW is convenient, comfortable and, more importantly, can fit 3 bikes and 3 people INSIDE. Again, if you know me, you know I am adverse to my bike being outside my car when traveling. So, I struggle to find ways to manage my addiction to convenience vs damage to the environment.
Arch McKown, former President of all things great in cycling (Team Snow Valley, now ABRT/Latitude), referred me to TerraPass - a carbon offset program where you can basically "buy" your way out of environmental guilt. That worked for a little while.
Then DC Velo made the huge move to include GREEN on their kits ... in the form of the Clean Currents logo. This wasn't just a logo for them, though - Clean Currents gathered data and donated clean energy credits to make the DC Velo events carbon neutral ! I thought that was pretty cool, seeing that we cyclists try to be "green" but we burn a ton of energy getting to and from events.
With all of this inspiration, I considered riding my bicycle to work in Fells Point. Unfortunately, I'd have to go through some pretty ... interesting ... neighborhoods so I quickly nixed that idea. Carpooling, while a good idea, is just not an option for someone as independent as I am. Since Baltimore missed the boat on mass-transit, thats out of the question. I considered - briefly - trading in my car for a hybrid ... but I'm not convinced that hybrids are the answer. The energy it takes to make them and then the uncertainty in how to dispose of the hybrid batteries makes me a little leery of declaring them "environmentally conservative". Besides. When I test drove the prius, they told me that seat-warmers were not an option.
Instead, I bought a Vespa. Yes, a scooter. And I love it. I've been scooting to work for about two weeks now (weather permitting). I actually got the scooter in early February, but its more of a warm-weather thing ... so last month, Tom Buzas at Battley Harley patiently helped me pick out a helmet and I was on my way. I figure if I scoot to work 2-3 times a week (not wednesdays, since I can't carry my bike on the scooter to get to greenbelt) I'll save $25+/week in gas. Yes, I'm an accountant, so I've done the math. Pretty cool if you ask me.
As a side note - I did have to get my motorcycle license and tag/insure the bike since its a 200cc motor (required for anything above 49cc - ie for anything that goes more than 30mph without you pedaling it). The instructors at motorcycle class could immediately tell that I was a cyclist - the skills to corner transfer nicely.
Another side note- No, I do not offer motopacing ... at least not for the competition !
4 comments:
Been thinking about getting a scooter...do i dare ask what these things cost? What other models did you look at?
Just like bikes, you can spend as much as you want on a scooter. Me, being a single, OCD professional-type, I spent way more than I needed to ! I didnt look at anything other than a vespa and wavered between the 200cc and the 250cc, finally settling on the 200 since, really, thats more than enough for my purposes. Figure about $4k on a brand new one, but you can get a decent pre-owned scooter for $1500 or so. Like I said - much like a bike !
That TerraPass thing is pretty cool. Do you know where that money gets invested towards green energy?
Did you know that you can buy offsets from CleanCurrents also? You could even get your home electricity *from* renewable energy through them! hint hint!!
So, how fast does the scooter go?
Oh, and nice race at Wilmington BTW. Women's racing is much better to watch these days w/ the talent and parity among teams.
Adam
Thanks, Adam ... Wilmington was fun - in a masochistic kinda way. I'm constantly impressed with the talent in our MABRA ranks, its cool to hear that others see it that way too.
RE: TerraPass - they have 3 different types of projects: clean energy (windmills), farm energy (farm waste) and landfill gas recapture. They have lots of legal and accounting docs online to check out if you want to see how the projects are going http://www.terrapass.com/projects/ ... even as an accountant, I glazed over after about 10m. :)
I've been talking to Zim about Clean Currents - I'm definitely into it. She's super happy with her choice to go green at home.
I've had the Vespa up to 75 until my self preservation kicked in. They tell me it can go around 85mph. Its good fun !
Post a Comment