For those that are considering boycotting ToWC and/or other
races due to the lack of a women's field THIS YEAR – think of the bigger picture. Lower attendance (less of a show) will
have to be explained to sponsors when asking for support in 2015. Do we want
the entire race to disappear – one of only TWO stage races in the area –
because one group was not included? And would that impact the other races that
this club puts on? Isn’t the solution to find out why our numbers are so low
and do something about it?
As for my fellow women racers – Thank you. For showing up
when you can, for making me show up, for making me work harder to be better whether in races or training rides. We
can’t be expected to show up at every race but we have to understand that if we
don’t show up, we might not have a race next year. To have a town shut down to
watch 16 racers do a cookie ride on a hot summer day is not what our sponsors
want, and lets be honest, it’s really no fun for us, either. I don't want to be a part of that; I want to be duking it out with a strong field, flying through corners, chasing breaks, making moves - I don't want to be a side show for the boys!
Yes, AVC’s lack of communication is regrettable in my view,
but that’s just me. Many of us understand giving a lot and feeling like you’re
not getting back. One false move and the pitchforks come out; all the good you’ve done is forgotten.
I hate that I can’t do ToWC this year. I hate that this one
issue has been the focus to point fingers at each other rather than a rallying
cry for our community – women and men – to make some changes. I know that
racing is intimidating when you’re just starting out, perhaps more so for
women. It’s mentally tough: anyone who
says there’s no crying in cycling is lying. It’s physically tough – I never
broke a bone until I started racing. I’ve got war wounds to show for it. AND
YET I WANT TO GET BACK UP AND DO IT AGAIN- and do it better. Isn’t that the
point?
The larger issue here is not whether Joe Jefferson /AVC
supports women. The larger issue is the current decline in women’s race fields,
the difficulty in getting new riders into race fields and what we can do about
it.
My record of handing out bottles is 9 in one feed. I’ve
volunteered for races that were not run by my club, I’ve promoted races, I was
part of the creation of a new women’s team – a rock star team I might add –
back in the day and I'm a participating member of one of the larger clubs in the area. I’ve also had many guys and gals
help me, both teammates and just comrades in on the battle field – feeds,
mental support, being at the hospital when I was carted off and pushing me on
training rides. What I’m saying is that as much as I feel that I’ve given, I’ve
gotten so much more in return.
THAT is what we need to be looking at – how can we give
back. We were all newbies at one point (some a little further back than
others!) and we got help from someone, some team, some significant other, some
random person who wanted to help. I’m happy to be part of the solution – women’s
rides, clinics, race prep. If you want to be part of the solution, lets talk!
Otherwise, please step out of the way and let us get to it.

No comments:
Post a Comment