Friday, April 20, 2012

TGIF-4/20/12: Suddenly 13 is a Lucky Number

Progress is good - I FINALLY managed to cowboy-up and actually finish a race without sitting up before the sprint.  I'm told it's really all in my head (this is a likely scenario), that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy when I say I don't sprint.  Congrats to ABRT's Katy Giles, who put on an encore to her Black Hills solo win.  The other teams in the field either couldn't or wouldn't organize a chase so all of the one-offs and two-offs (like myself) just kinda got to ride around in circles with occasional accelerations and plenty of smack-talk.

I came through the final turn in terrible position.  Since I'm still distrustful of unfamiliar wheels, I created a sprint-opportunity out of every turn and this was no exception.  As an aside, don't we always love the girls IN THE BACK yelling at people not to slow down in the turn?  Sorry, ladies - if you're not going through first, you're gonna hit your brakes.

I performed a poor excuse for a sprint to keep up with the field that went through a little faster/smoother and pushed off the thought of sitting up.  While spinning up the hill I noticed I was passing quite a few girls who were fading after starting the sprint too early ... is it just me or did it seem like the finish line was further and further away every time we crested that hill? Anhoo, once I realized that I might actually get a finish out of this thing, I stood up, stepped up the pace and crossed the finish line with some speed.  When I could breathe again, I looked in front of me and saw a swarm of ladies.  Maybe a little disappointed but still relatively pleased with myself for perceived progress, I estimated maybe a top 25?  Without bothering to check results, I spun around, handled some drama, cooled off and changed out of my super-girl suit.

Later in the day, I stopped to congratulate one of the Evo girls on a strong race.  We talked about the race in general and I remarked that I felt good about progress and maybe cracked the top 25.  She looked incredulous and said no, you were 13th.  13th!!!  I almost hugged her.  Then I went and took a pic of the posted finishing sheet to send to my coach (the one who thinks this is all in my head.  again, this is quite possible).  Lucky 13 - not much to some but it was to me.  And really, this is all about me so that's what matters. 
 
**THANK YOU** to DC Velo - always a class act.  All of the women I spoke to appreciated the separation of 1-2-3s and the 4s.

1 comment:

ycycle said...

Awesome! Way to go!