I know this is a little late and my excuse is TDF obsession ... after spending all day, every day trying to avoid any news media, twitter, blogs or fellow cyclists who might slip up with stage results, I would rush home, try to get in a workout and finish off the day with Phil and Paul's bantering (or bickering, depending on the subject) while watching the day's event. I grew rather used to the schedule, though I must admit my social life (and blog) suffered greatly for the effort. Now that I'm going through TDF withdrawal, I finally put together the image that came to mind after watching Stage 11, where Mark Renshaw was DQ'd ...
That's him on the right, headbutting Julian Dean. As soon as I saw the video, it brought back images from a prior TDF - witness Robbie McEwen using his head in a sprint :
Most mainstream media have likened the Renshaw Incident to the McEwen Incident. But what Phil and Paul neglected to mention was the well-known MABRA Incident at Tyson's a few years back - Witness SuperDave and Cameron in the finishing sprint ...

As you can see, there is an obvious disparity of height in the SuperDave/Cameron incident. Had they been closer in height, it might have been a real-live imitation of the McEwen Incident and a precursor to the Renshaw Incident.BTW: SuperDave took the sprint in a photo-finish, if I remember correctly.
No comments:
Post a Comment