Thursday, April 1, 2010

Today is Technically My Friday, so TGIF

With the Easter holiday approaching, the thought occurred to me on Monday that maybe, just maybe, I might have a half day on Friday.  You'd think that I'd know this since I've been here 5 years, but hey, it's been a year since last Easter so give a girl a break !  Anyway, I delicately posed the question to HR - I'm sure she's been getting these questions for days so I wanted to tread lightly.  She said no, we don't get a half day.  Pause while I lament my luck.  We get a full day off on Friday.  I coulda kissed her, and I told her as much.  She suggested that I should keep that to myself.  So, today is my Friday.  I've been talking myself through this week "hold out, you have a gorgeous, sunny, warm 3 day weekend coming up".  I dont know if it's the weather or I'm just completely worn out, but knowing I have a long weekend coming up was the only thing getting me through. 



So, for this weekend I predict some lobster-tans for my pigment-challenged cycling contingent.  I plan on getting a big start on my panda-tan for the season ... it's a hot look when we go to the beach or wear a sleeveless top.  Three full days of riding will definitely give me a little restart for the soul. 

The good news is that I had my very first after-work, outdoor training ride of the season this week !!  This is a sign of good things to come, as I got out of work at a decent hour and managed to get in almost 1.5 hrs, doing hill intervals up Lawyer's Hill and finishing up with some threshold running through the park to beat daylight.  It was liberating and exhilerating - talk about good for the soul.  I know many of you can't appreciate the big deal since you do this all the time but it was a special day for me. 

It really doesn't take much these days to make me happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What and where is Lawyer's Hill?

Robert Kendrick said...

I can identify with your post -- we have today off, and I can't tell you how good it feels *not* to have ridden rollers at 4:40, but to have a coffee and plan a nice long sunshine ride this afternoon!

PlainJane said...

anon - Lawyers Hill = in baltimore county, leading out of Patapsco St Park to Ellicott City area - solid .7 miles of a steady climb. It's all fun and games until about the 5th time up, then it just gets annoying.

Robert- I hope your long sunshine ride was all you hoped it would be - I definitely got a jump start on the cyclist panda-tan and I'm proud of it !