SUCCESS !! (in baby steps)
So, I finally took my mountain bike to my LBS (Avalon Cycles - Donald is great!) to make sure everything was in working order. Recall that two years ago I had a little ... mishap ... on the mtb. A mishap that involved a cast up to my bicep so I looked like a cartoon character. And it really put a damper on my "I want to enjoy fall riding" that year.
Anyhoo. The bike was quarantined for a year. Then it sat in my basement for another year. I kept saying that I should get back in the saddle but it was always bad timing - ie, if I break something now, I won't be able to race Nationals. If I fall and hurt myself now, I won't be able to enjoy Coach Slavedriver's bump and grind drills. These were really excuses, but they were viable excuses. So, Donald and crew hooked my bike up and sent me on my way. I was invited to take part in a "shop" mtb ride in the park but decided that maybe I should get used to the awkward shifting (in comparison to my road bike!)first.
The old adage goes "it's just like riding a bike" ... and it was-shifting came back to me quickly, the trails at Rockburn Park were in good shape and there weren't too many other bikers out there so I didnt have to worry about accidentally running someone over. My goal for the day: don't fall, but if you do fall, don't break anything. I did not set the bar high.
I managed to stay upright and, I'm happy to report, I am still in one piece. I will admit to dismounting and walking over a couple of spots ... those of you that mtb would have pointed at me and laughed, I'm sure, but we're taking baby steps here. I judge this 2hr outing as a success.
In other news, cross training is going well. I had one of my best ever times on the rower this week for 5000m. Made a spin class. Actually did some honest-to-goodness intervals on the rollers. Even got out for a quick 4 or 5 miles (running) in the city one day for lunch. Tomorrow looks like either a quick run in between rain showers or an indoor workout. Boo.
On Sundays I've kind of gotten in the habit of starting my ride at Glenelg High School. I've spent bunches of time on the roads out there and absolutely love the riding - now I have to actually drive to the ride start, which isn't ideal, but it's such a great ride I'm okay with it. Besides, there's a Starbucks on the way. What can I say ... will travel for Starbucks.

I am always looking for good company to occupy the time over the miles ... otherwise its just me and my ipod. Thank goodness for Apple/iPod. I know some people don't like to ride/run with music but I dont know if I could do it without my music. As I explained to Coach Slavedriver, who asked me if I always ride with music: its like having a soundtrack to my life. Hmm ... wouldn't it be revealing to say what song is playing right now ?
1 comment:
YEA for mt biking, its a blast!!
Post a Comment