Monday, June 16, 2008

Time Trial Thoughts/New TT bike for Shawn and Jason

I used to be half decent at TTs. Really. The operative phrase is "used to be". I have the gear, my training has been going well and I didn't necessarily dread the race, but I just couldn't force myself to go any faster. At least I looked fast, I guess. Thats what teammate Leslie (rockstar and winner !) said as she passed me on the homestretch. I suppose my mind wasn't in it - which doesn't matter when you're racing in a mass-start race, but in a TT I have way too much time to ... think. I resolved a few issues in my head, got a few mental checklists going for post-race activities, decided that I should put some bar tape on the ends of the TT bars, admired the big gear Chris Kelly was pushing as she passed me ... just kind of strolling along. Clearly I need some interaction to activate my adrenaline/competitive drive. Otherwise I'm just admiring the scenery and thinking about what I'll do after the race. My Coach is THRILLED with this, as you can imagine.

I wasn't the only one who struggled with the race. For some, the pressure was too great ... they totally changed plans and switched TT philosophies. Gone were the alien-like helmets. Impaling saddles be damned. Lycra ? Not a chance. And you can see the result in the smile on Shawn Fenty's face ... this was MUCH better. (thanks for the photo, Espen)


Not to be outdone, Jason Meidhof took a spin to impress his woman, and by the looks of the photo below he was wayy faster than he was in the TT.











After the race a few of us had the opportunity to join Mark Sommers and his wife, Motoko, at Casa de Sommers - they have a beautiful place out on the creek. We were in a caravan with about 7 cars or so. As was appropriate given my race, I was at the back of the caravan and snapped this pic. I know it just looks like a bunch of cars on the highway, but I find it funny that all of them were with our group. Yes, I know, I amuse easily.

Anyhoo - a good time was had by all - I had the chance to spend time with some "old" friends, meet some new friends and generally recover for the next day. By recovery I mean wine and a lack of sleep for the next day's races. It doesn't happen often but it was just what I needed. Experiences like Saturday, just having FUN, enjoying good company, good wine and good stories (wink) ... those experiences remind me how great our little cycling community is, and why I do this silly sport despite it all. Cheers to that.


my thoughts are with the Clark family - even though I dont personally know Craig, we are a small community and when one of us is injured, we all feel it. good vibes and well wishes for good news and a fast recovery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout Wendy! Love your blog. What a charming woman you are! PlainJane indeed...

Shawnissimo